It’s a showdown between the two flooring giants, and a question that a lot of people ask themselves when renovating their homes – do you go for warm, soft carpet, or sleek, rich wood? If you’re pondering these two options for your home, then we’ve got a quick rundown of the pros and cons of each to help you decide.
- Soft to walk on – The feeling of a soft, plush carpet under your bare feet is hard to beat and can be very comforting.
- Warm – Carpet also feels warm underfoot and can add insulative properties to a room, which could potentially reduce heating costs.
- Safe – Carpet is less slippery than wood or tile floors, meaning accidents are less likely to happen. Plus, it provides a cushioned landing if the kids to trip and fall on it.
- Sound dampening – Walking on a carpeted floor produces very little sound, while harder floors can be loud for people on the floor below, and can start to squeak later in their lifespan.
- Harder to clean – Any spills on carpet are much harder to clean properly compared to hardwood flooring, and can lead to stains and discoloration. This could be a problem in households with pets or young children.
- Gathers dust and allergens – Carpets might not be the best option for people with allergies as dust and other allergens build up within the carpet fibers, which can set off allergies.
- Fade over time – The color and plushness of carpets tend to wear and fade over time, caused by regular traffic and sunlight. This might mean your carpet will need replacing sooner than hardwood.
- Easy to maintain – Hardwood flooring is easy to clean and maintain, making spills less of an issue compared to on carpeted floors.
- Allows the best of both worlds – Areas of hardwood flooring can easily be covered by an area rug, meaning you can have both styles and surfaces in the same room.
- Refinishable – Although the color of hardwood flooring may fade over time, it can easily be refinished to bring some life back into it without replacing the entire floor.
- Durable – Hardwood flooring is solid and durable, which means it will last a long time with impressive quality. Some also say that it increases the value of your house.
- Cold floors – Hardwood flooring feels much colder underfoot compared to carpet and can lower the overall temperature of the room.
- Harder – Hardwood flooring is also a hard surface that could be painful to fall on, which is worthwhile thinking about in households with children.
- Noisy – People often complain that people walking on hardwood flooring upstairs is noisy downstairs, but placing an area rug can help this.
Both are excellent choices for flooring in a variety of rooms, and both are available in a range of colors and styles. So, the choice is yours. Contact us to find out about the flooring products and services we offer, providing service to customers in Greensboro, High Point, Kernersville, and their surrounding areas.